- I am working.
- He was singing.
- They have been walking.
- We will be staying.
- She would have been expecting me.
这种结构在动词 to go 上特别常见。
- She went shopping.
- I go running every morning.
- He lay looking up at the clouds.
- She came running towards me.
这种用法的句型为：动词 + 受词 + 现在分词。当这类句子包含的是零不定词（也就是不含 to 的不定词）而不是分词时，意思上会有所不同。不定词涉及的是一个完成的动作，而现在分词涉及的是持续性的动作。
- I heard someone singing.
- He saw his friend walking along the road.
- I can smell something burning!
- I watched the birds flying away.
- It was an amazing film.
- Dark billowing clouds often precede a storm.
- He was trapped inside the burning house.
- Many of his paintings show the setting sun.
现在分词与 spend 和 waste 等动词连用
这类动词的句型是：动词 + 表达时间/金钱的词语 + 现在分词。
- My boss spends two hours a day travelling to work.
- Don't waste time playing computer games!
- They've spent the whole day shopping.
- I wasted money buying this game.
现在分词与 catch 和 find 等动词的连用
使用这些动词的句型为：动词 + 受词 + 现在分词。用在 catch 后的现在分词，往往有「某件事造成滋扰或愤怒」之意。跟动词 find 的情况不同，没有情绪的意味。
- If I catch you stealing my apples again, there'll be trouble!
- Don't let him catch you reading his letters.
- I caught him going through my bag.
- We found some money lying on the ground.
- They found their mother sitting in the garden.
- Whistling to himself, he walked down the road. = He whistled to himself as he walked down the road.
- They went laughing out into the snow. = They laughed as they went out into the snow.
- Dropping the gun, she put her hands in the air. = She dropped the gun and put her hands in the air.
- Putting on his coat, he left the house. = He put on his coat and left the house.
现在分词可以用来取代以 as丶since丶because 为首的片语。在这种用法中，分词片语说明某个动作的理由或原因。
- Feeling hungry, he went into the kitchen and opened the fridge.
- Being poor, he didn't spend much on clothes.
- Knowing that his mother was coming, he cleaned the flat.
- He whispered, thinking his brother was still asleep.