- the car of John = John's car
- the room of the girls = the girls' room
- clothes for men = men's clothes
- the boat of the sailors = the sailors' boat
对于以 s 结尾的名字，可以选择在字尾加撇号和 s，或只加一个撇号，前者较为常用。在所有格的名字上，我们会在名字的尾音加上 /z/ 音。
- Thomas's book (或 Thomas' book)
- James's shop (或 James' shop)
- the Smiths's house (或 the Smiths' house)
- John owns a car. = It is John's car.
- America has some gold reserves. = They are America's gold reserves.
- John goes to this school. = This is John's school.
- John sleeps in this room. = This is John's room.
- John's mother is running late.
- Mrs Brown's colleague will not be coming to the meeting.
- John's patience is running out.
- The politician's hypocrisy was deeply shocking.
- a day's work
- a month's pay
- today's newspaper
- in a year's time
- For God's sake!（= 恼怒的惊叹词）
- a stone's throw away（= 非常近）
- at death's door（= 病得很重）
- in my mind's eye（= 就我的想像）
- Shall we go to Luigi's for lunch?
- I've got an appointment at the dentist's at eleven o'clock.
- Is Saint Mary's an all-girls school?