字尾有 ing 的动词不是「现在分词」就是「动名词」，这两种动词型态看起来是一样的，差异在于它们在句中的作用。
- He is painting.
- She was waiting.
- They will be coming.
- We would be staying.
- I would have been leaving.
现在分词可以用在感知动词后，表达被感受到的动作。句型为：动词 + 受词 + 现在分词。
- We saw him swimming across the pond.
- I watched her painting Sarah's portrait.
- I couldn't hear her singing because of the noise.
- I would like to see you knitting sometime.
- She sat looking at the sea.
- He walks reading his newspaper.
- I cook listening to the radio.
- Sally lay listening to the bugs in the grass.
- Did you read that amazing book?
- This movie is so exciting!
- His economics class is boring.
- Eating people is wrong.
- Driving too fast is dangerous.
- Walking is good for you.
- Your knitting is beautiful.
- Can you sneeze without opening your mouth?
- She is good at painting.
- I was the fastest at climbing the rope.
- He learns music by listening to the chords.
- I like cooking.
- He enjoys walking.
- They hate milking cows.
- I can imagine drifting away in a balloon.
- I took her to her driving lessons.
- We are going to the swimming pool.
- My uncle does a lot of bird-watching.
- I found this pie by dumpster-diving.